MANSFIELD TOWNSHIP BOARD OF EDUCATION
COLUMBUS, NEW JERSEY
TITLE: SCHOOL MEDIA SPECIALIST – PART TIME
MONDAY – FRIDAY (5.5 HOURS/DAY )
- Valid New Jersey School Library Media Specialist Certificate
- Demonstrated ability related to collection development, information technology, research methodology and library program designs for children and adolescents.
- Effective problem-solving, human relations and communication skills.
- Required criminal history background check and proof of U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status.
REPORTS TO: Principal
JOB GOAL: To develop and coordinate educational media services and assist teachers and students in the effective use of the media center and information technology as a learning resource to support the schools curriculum and to develop students’ information literacy skills.
- Is responsible for the operation and supervision of the school media center.
- Maintains a comprehensive and efficient system for cataloging all media center materials and instructs teachers and students on use of the system.
- Coordinates library skills instruction with classroom instruction and works to achieve state curriculum content standards and district educational goals and objectives and collaborates with teachers to integrate information literacy competencies across the curricula.
- Assists teachers in the selection of books and other instructional materials and makes media center materials available to supplement the instructional program.
- Evaluates, selects and requisitions new media center materials and informs teachers and other staff of new acquisitions.
- Provides a sequential program of library skills instruction and instructs students in the use of various types of materials and information technology.
- Helps students to develop habits of independent reference work and to develop skill in the use of reference material in relation to planned assignments.
- Conducts in-service education for teachers in the effective evaluation, selection and use of media and maintains professional library materials for teacher use.
- Presents and discusses materials with a class studying a particular topic at the request of the teacher.
- Prepares and administers the media center budget.
- Supervises the clerical activities necessary for the effective operation of the media center.
- Supervises the work performance of the media aide.
- Promotes relationships with external information sources and participates in electronic networks and resource sharing systems to expand the media center’s capacity to access information globally.
- Maintains professional competence and continuous improvement through in-service education and other professional development activities.
- Develop specific computer science curriculum with various classes that could entail game programming, app programming, logic and critical thinking. Courses should be developmentally appropriate and engaging.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Position available September 1, 2017
10 months – Salary and work year to be determined by MTEA negotiated agreement.
SALARY: $25,000 – $30,000
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated annually in accordance with the provisions of the board’s policy on evaluation of non-certified personnel.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: Friday, June 2, 2017 by noon.
PLEASE NOTE THAT ONLY ELECTRONIC APPLICATIONS THROUGH APPLITRACK WILL BE ACCEPTED AND CONSIDERED.
POSTED DATE: 05/23/17
APPROVED BY: Mansfield Township Board of Education
N.J.S.A. 18A:6-7.1 Criminal history record; employee in regular contact with pupils, grounds for disqualification from employment
N.J.S.A. 18A:6-1 Officers and employees in general.
N.J.S.A. 18A:6-2 Physical examinations; requirement
N.J.A.C. 6:11-4.6 Paraprofessional approval
N.J.A.C. 6A:14-4.1(e) General requirements
N.J.S.A. 6:29-7.4 Requirements of physical examinations
Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, 8 U.S.C.A. 1100 et seq.